STMicroelectronics has launchedthe SPC58 family of automotive MCUs that herald the advent of more secure and connected cars. The power-efficient and real-time-capable MCUs bring the world’s first Power Architecture-based devices manufactured in state-of the-art 40nm embedded Flash (eFlash) technology dedicated to car body and security applications.
The family is composed of three product lines; SPC58 B-Line, SPC58 C-Line and SPC58 G-Line, which offer from 512KB to 6MB of embedded Flash memory.
The high level of scalability allows the SPC58 family to address the ever-growing need for in-car automotive networks with high bandwidth and strong in-vehicle security. The devices combine Ethernet and ISO CAN FD communication interfaces with the latest hardware security module technology to ensure functional integrity of the car’s ECUs, intrusion detection and protection against malicious attacks.
ST’s in-house embedded Flash (eFlash) 40nm process technology is suited to integrate high performance and outstanding automotive-grade reliability in very small packages, enabling car gateways and body modules to be smarter, smaller and lighter.
Fabio Marchio, General Manager Automotive Digital Division, STMicroelectronics, commented: “Building on the success of our SPC56 Automotive MCU family, which is widely used by Tier-1 and car manufacturers, the SPC58 enables the automotive industry to raise the bar in security and in-car communications. The next generation of smarter cars will rely on electronic systems based on MCUs that provide the best combination of performance, low power consumption, high security and robustness. ST’s SPC58 MCU lines meet all these needs, making them the leading solutions for next-generation in-car controllers.”
The SPC58 family offers a highly scalable line of products with industry-leading benefits, including:
- ASIL-B (Automotive Safety Integrity Level) compliance;
- The highest number of ISO CAN-FD and Ethernet communication channels on the market;
- Double the performance of previous-gen solutions, thanks to the multi-core architecture, higher system frequency and faster memory-access time;
- The state-of-the-art 40nm Flash technology enables high integration and performance in very small packages – as few as 32 pins;
- Perfect companion MCU for camera or telematics applications;
- Perfect solution for in-car stand-alone and integrated gateways;
- Assured security via the built-in HSM and related security firmwarethat ensure the highest protection against malicious attacks;
- Option to support Over The Air (OTA) requirements allowing smart and wireless SW update; and
- Easy portability of applications from SPC56 to SPC58, with high reuse of existing software, development tools and hardware experience.
“Tomorrow’s connected car will communicate with everything, from its internal systems such as transmission, advanced driver-assistance electronics and front panel to roadside infrastructure, emergency services and other cars. And it will have to provide the highest level of security. The SPC58 automotive MCUs, with their unique combination of performance, connectivity, security and scalability, allow car makers and their sub-system suppliers to set new standards in ensuring a safer, greener and more enjoyable driving experience.”
Samples of the SPC58 B-, C- and G-Line MCUs have been provided to lead customers and full production is scheduled for Q1 2017.